My Word for 2011 and a Project to Stick to It

Perhaps you recall that earlier in the week I was contemplating my goals and resolutions for 2011. In general, the list is much the same as always: get in shape, eat better, get organized, focus on my business, create as often as possible. . .BORING!!

After reading MK's post about picking a single word to inspire her in 2011, I decided that I would do the same. I considered
TRY
FOCUS
MAKE
PASSION
BECOME
and many more before settling on (drum roll please. . . )

And all variations - wake up, stimulate, open your eyes, get up, excite, get out of bed you sleepy head, kindle, rise and shine, stir, arouse, fire up, spark, gain consciousness, enliven . . . I COULD go on.

Instead, let me elaborate (briefly) on how I want to apply the word
AWAKEN my creative spirit on a daily basis
     AWAKEN my ability to do what's needed for my business
          AWAKEN the skills to stay organized (in all aspects of life)
               AWAKEN each morning with a bright outlook
                    AWAKEN my body by taking better care of it

I'm sure there are plenty more ways to apply my use of this word. But, those work for now.
To ensure that I am reminded of my commitment to the word, I put forth a little effort to make the sign you see above and hung it where I'll see it each day.

If you'd like to do the same thing, here are the steps make one yourself.

1. Gather the number of Wood Slats (or other wood pieces) for the number of letters in your word.


2. Paint front and all sides of wood with gesso

3. Using a pencil, draw out the letters on each wood piece

4. Gather up the a good selection of bright acrylic paints (2 for each letter)

5. First paint the background color (keeping the letter white) and then paint in the letter

6. Use a paint pen to outline each letter (and cover up where the paints meet)

7. Decorate . . .this could have been done in any variety of ways (collage, stickers, stamps, etc.) but I simply used some white paint to decorate the inside and outside of the letters, alternating between them.


There could be any number of ways to hang these, but here's what I came up with.

Using florist wire I cut a length, spiraled the ends, and bent it in the middle

Then glued the spirals down with some E6000 on the backs of the letters

I let the glue dry overnight and simply used some thumb tacks to hang the letters over the craft room window, where I'll see it each day.

What do you think?

Wishing you all the best for 2011 - may your dreams, hopes, goals, resolutions, and desires come to you!!!
Speaking of which, What DID you resolve to do this new year?

7 comments:

  1. What a pretty sign!

    I have a few resolutions this year, but the biggest is to get healthy!

    Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claire!! Health is definitely one of those on my list!
    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever! I like the idea of making it and putting it in a place where you will see it everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My main New Years Resolution is to move to Alabama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clare - I felt like going through the whole process to make it, thinking about its meaning the whole time really helped me focus on the meaning. Seeing it everyday will be essential for me to remember I made this vow to myself.

    Anon - I don't know who you are, but best of luck. It's great here!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awaken is a great word for you! (I'm thinking senior year at SHC -- LMAO)

    I love the sign. Very creative and I love where you hung it.

    Happy New Year! You can awaken yourself in all ways possible and help yourself reach your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Het. . .
    HAHAHAHA!! I've stopped living off coffee and pixie sticks. Well, they're not the bulk of my diet anymore.
    Yeah, I'm totally digging my new sign.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! It means so very much to me. I love to hear what you have to say.

The 100 Day Project 2024

Yesterday, the 100 Day Project for 2024 started (it's not too late to join in!!) I mentioned last week that I would give you a heads-up ...