DIY Enamel Flower Necklace

A few years ago, collecting and using vintage enamel flower brooches in a variety of ways was all the rage. At the height of it, I succumbed to the mania and collected quite a few of the floral pins myself without any real plan of how I would use them. I found that making a simple necklace from a single one was a great Spring project.

It all begins with selecting just the right enamel flower brooch.
For me, that meant one that was large enough to make a statement, had thin enough petals to punch through, and was pretty enough to be worn.

If you're okay with keeping it as a brooch, you can skip the next several steps. However, I feared that the pin back would come open while being worn as a necklace and prick the wearer. 
If you have the same trepidation, grab a large pair of chain-nose pliers. 

Use the pliers to pull off the pin mechanism. 
It could take some tugging, but it's usually quite simple. 

From there, use a metal hole punch to create a hole at the top of one of the petals. 
If you don't have a metal punch, you could also use a hammer and a nail to make your hole. 

Simply add a jump ring and a chain to complete the necklace.
Opening and closing a jump ring is as simple as a twist. Click the link to see my tutorial on it. 

With that, you have a beautiful necklace, perfect for Spring.
As a side note, if you're concerned about damaging vintage jewelry, there are plenty of reproduction flower brooches out there that came out when these floral pins were all the rage. 

I originally shared this Upcycled Enamel Flower Necklace tutorial on Cut Out + Keep. The complete materials list can be found there. But, if you have any questions, please ask away in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Great re-purposing! Years ago I acquired some of the fun enamel flower brooches. For some reason I sold them on ebay wanting to give them happy homes where they would be worn. In retrospect I wish I kept them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though this looks sweet and simple, you've got quite a statement piece as a result! This is exactly the repurposing I like - it's original and looks like new :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! It means so very much to me. I love to hear what you have to say.

NEW website (and blog to go with it)

 Hey y'all!! I've got some news. It's great, but also bittersweet. After almost NINETEEN years here on Blogger/Blogspot, I'v...